Frequently asked questions
1. Who is eligible to request a Rainbow Library?
Any full-time staff member at a Connecticut K-12 school is welcome to request a Rainbow Library. All types of K-12 schools are eligible: district, magnet, charter, independent, you name it!
2. How can I request a Rainbow Library?
Our slots for fall 2019 are now full. Complete this form to request a Rainbow Library text set for winter 2020. Questions? Email us at info@RainbowLibrary.org!
3. How will I get my Rainbow Library?
If you requested a Rainbow Library and were approved, your Rainbow Library will be mailed to the school or library address you entered on your application. The package will be addressed to you, and should arrive in early September 2019.
4. Will I receive any additional resources besides books in my Rainbow Library package?
Yes! We will include posters and LGBTQ+ affirming curricular resources with your Rainbow Library text set.
5. Can Rainbow Libraries be sent to schools or libraries outside Connecticut?
Unfortunately, the Rainbow Library Community Reads Project is currently limited to Connecticut schools and libraries. Stay tuned in case we expand in the future!
6. Will there be subsequent Rainbow Library text sets sent out in future years?
If we secure enough funding to sustain subsequent rounds, then we will do so! No promises yet, folks!
7. Can I make a special request for which books are in my Rainbow Library text set?
Our curation team has carefully selected the ten books in each grade range’s text selection. Unfortunately, we do not have the operational capacity to create customized packages for specific schools or libraries.
8. I work part-time at my school; can I request a Rainbow Library for my school?
Because our resources are limited, we can only send Rainbow Libraries to full-time school or library staff members. If you are not full-time, we encourage you to persuade a full-time staff member to request a Rainbow Library for your school or library.
9. I don't work at a school, but I'm part of the Family Association or PTA. Can I request a Rainbow Library?
At this time only full-time school or library staff members can request Rainbow Libraries, but we definitely encourage you to connect with a school staff member to make a request on behalf of your school! Also, we’d be happy to connect with you directly to support you to get LGBTQ+ affirming texts and resources into your school’s classrooms. Email us at Info@RainbowLibrary.org.
10. can i get a list of the rainbow library books?
We are currently only sharing our list on case-by-case basis. Please email us at with your specific requests for the list!