Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who is eligible to request a Rainbow Library?
Any full-time staff member at a K-12 school at a participating state (see list on our homepage) is eligible to request a Rainbow Library. All types of K-12 schools are eligible: district, magnet, charter, and independent.
2. How can I request a Rainbow Library?
3. How will I get my Rainbow Library?
If you requested a Rainbow Library and were approved, your Rainbow Library will be mailed to the school address you entered on your application. The package will be addressed to you, and you will be updated about the estimated arrival date. We send out Rainbow Library sets 2-3 times per year.
4. Will I receive any additional resources besides books in my Rainbow Library package?
Yes! We will include posters and additional resources from the GLSEN Safe Space Kit with your Rainbow Library text set.
5. How can I get the Rainbow Library to expand to my state?
The Rainbow Library has grown from 1 state to 20 states in the span of three years, so chances are your state will be on our list sometime soon! Keep checking the Rainbow Library website to see if your state is added to the list. If you are interested in funding the expansion of the Rainbow Library to a new state (this typically costs $10,000 or more, depending on the state, please email us at email@example.com.
6. Will there be subsequent Rainbow Library text sets sent out in future years?
As long as we continue having funds for this program, we will continue sending out Rainbow Library sets.
7. Can I make a special request for which books are in my Rainbow Library text set?
Our curation team has carefully selected the ten books in each grade range’s text selection. Unfortunately, we do not have the operational capacity to create customized packages for specific schools or libraries. If there is a book you think we should consider, feel free to email us your recommendation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. I work part-time at my school; can I request a Rainbow Library for my school?
Because our resources are limited, we can only send Rainbow Libraries to full-time school staff members. If you are not full-time, we encourage you to persuade a full-time staff member to request a Rainbow Library for your school or library.
9. I don't work at a school, but I'm part of the Family Association or PTA. Can I request a Rainbow Library?
At this time only full-time school staff members can request Rainbow Library sets, but we definitely encourage you to connect with a school staff member to make a request on behalf of your school!
10. Can I get a list of the Rainbow Library books?
We are currently only sharing our list on a case-by-case basis. Please this form to request our book list. If your request is approved, you should hear from us within two weeks.